Architecture

Of the Rio Grande Valley

Wilson R. Palmer House

Wilson R. Palmer House

ArchitectureHarlingen, TXYear Built - 1950 Architects - Cocke, Bowman, and York Text and Photos - Stephen FoxHouses on the south side of South Parkwood, such as the steel-framed Wilson R. Palmer House of 1950, met the street with brick end panels and modular side...

Loving a Taniguchi House

Loving a Taniguchi House

ArchitectureHarlingen, TXYear Built - 1953 Architects -Alan Y. TaniguchiEddie and Alma Rocha welcome RGVMOD into their Harlingen home to talk about their love story with their Taniguchi home built in 1953 for William E. Black. Both Alma and Eddie work for Southwest...

New Owner of Taniguchi Home Knew the Architect Personally

New Owner of Taniguchi Home Knew the Architect Personally

ArchitectureHarlingen, TXYear Built - 1955 Architects - Alan Y. TaniguchiJack King was no stranger to Alan Y. Taniguchi’s architecture when he bought a house in Harlingen’s Laurel Park, for Jack studied under Taniguchi at the University of Texas back in 1967. “It was...

Modern Houses on Ferguson Drive

Modern Houses on Ferguson Drive

ArchitectureHarlingen, TXYear Built - 1950s Architects -Alan Y. TaniguchiThese two fine examples of the modern architecture of the Rio Grande Valley can be found on Ferguson Drive in Harlingen. The house pictured on top was designed by Alan Y. Taniguchi for Dr. John...

Harlingen’s Lake Drive

Harlingen’s Lake Drive

ArchitectureHarlingen, TXYear Built - 1950-53 Architects - Merle A. Simpson, Cocke, Bowman & York, Alan Taniguchi Address - 123 Rio Grande Road, Texasville, TXFirst photo is of the house designed for Charles Parce. It was built in the mid 1950s b Merle A. Simpson of...

Taniguchi Houses Around Laurel Park

Taniguchi Houses Around Laurel Park

ArchitectureHarlingen, TXYear Built - 1952-53 Architects -Alan TaniguchiWe found these Taniguchi homes in the Laurel Park area in Harlingen. The top photo is of the home built for J. F. Weed in 1952. The house below was built for Wynn T. Burton in 1952. This third...

Hamilton Drive Homes

Hamilton Drive Homes

ArchitectureHarlingen, TXYear Built - 1950s Architects - John G. York & AssociatesThese two Harlingen homes boast all the features favored by John G. York. The house pictured on top was designed for Horace C. Dismukes and the one pictured below for Ross G. McCready....

Modern in Harlingen

Modern in Harlingen

ArchitectureHarlingen, TXYear Built - 1960s Architects -William H. Lambeth, JrThis house was designed for William H. Lambeth, Jr. and subsequently became the home of Architect E. Lester Swanson. It was designed by William H. Lambeth, Jr in the mid 1950s and...

A New Beginning for a Family and a MCM Home in Harlingen

A New Beginning for a Family and a MCM Home in Harlingen

ArchitectureHarlingen, TX“The house just spoke to me, and it gave me a great feeling as soon as I walked in the door,” said new midcentury modern home owner Melody Bockelman. After a failed attempt to remodel her new house, Melody was frustrated when she found a copy...

Charles Parce House

Charles Parce House

ArchitectureHarlingen, TXYear Built - 1950s Architects - Merle A. SimpsonThis house on Harlingen’s Lake Drive by designed by Merle A. Simpson for Charles Parce in the mid 1950s Today (2015) is undergoing an incredible restoration by Architect John Pierce of...

Jack R. McArver House

Jack R. McArver House

ArchitectureHarlingen, TXYear Built - 1960 Architects -Charles B. CroftThis home was designed and built in the 1960s by Charles B. Croft for Jack R. McArver in Harlingen’s garden subdivision Laurel Park

Dr. Charles Binney, II House

Dr. Charles Binney, II House

ArchitectureHarlingen, TXYear Built - 19X Architects -Alan Y. TaniguchiThis home was designed by Alan Y. Taniguchi for Dr. Charles Binney, II in 1957 As prototype of this subdivision – Laurel Park – this home is surrounded by different species of palm trees and other...

The Echo Hotel: Timeless Perseverance

The Echo Hotel: Timeless Perseverance

ArchitectureEdinburg, TXYear Built - 1959The historic Echo Hotel and Conference Center of Edinburg, Texas, is not only a full service 110-guest-room hotel that boasts an award winning restaurant , a night club, and seven banquet rooms, but it is also an epitome of the...

Hidalgo County Savings & Loan Association Building

Hidalgo County Savings & Loan Association Building

ArchitectureEdinburg, TXYear Built - 1971 Architects -Neuhaus & Taylor of Houston Address - 300 S. Closner, Edinburg, TXLocated on 300 S. Closner – Edinburg, Texas the building was designed in 1971 by Neuhaus & Taylor of Houston. The building’s original design is...

First National Bank Building

First National Bank Building

ArchitectureEdinburg, TXYear Built - 1964 Architects - Kenneth Bentsen Associates of Houston Address - 100 W. Cano, Edinburg, Texas

Early 20th Century Historical Buildings in Brownsville, Texas

Early 20th Century Historical Buildings in Brownsville, Texas

ArchitectureBrownsville, TXBuilding in Photo - Hotel El Jardin and Missouri-Pacific Passenger Station Year Built - 1927 Architects -K lwood Co.Hotel El Jardín and Missouri-Pacific Passenger Station, 1927, Kelwood Co.; Brownsville International Airport, 1929, 1930, Ben...

Darling-Mouser Funeral Home

Darling-Mouser Funeral Home

ArchitectureBrownsville, TXYear Built - 1966 Architects - Robert E. VeltenIn Brownsville, Robert E. Velten, son of the Brownsville builder W. A. Velten, began practice in 1959. Velten’s Darling-Mouser Funeral Home of 1966 explored the use of folded plate...

Brownsville Chamber of Commerce

Brownsville Chamber of Commerce

ArchitectureBrownsville, TXYear Built - 1965 Architects -Wilhite & WinansDuring a recent visit we were able to photograph the building to share with our readers. It was built in 1965 and designed by Wilhite & Winans. Inside, the facility is practically intact. We were...

House of Mo-Rose Packing Shed

House of Mo-Rose Packing Shed

ArchitectureRancho Viejo, TXYear Built - 1962 Architects - Charles Croft of Taniguchi Assoc Address - West Levee Street, Brownsville, TX“Ultra Modern Gift Fruit Packing Plant Opening,” San Benito News, 1 January 1962, p. 4. J. L. Brett, Valley cotton broker turned...

Fort Brown Memorial Center

Fort Brown Memorial Center

ArchitectureBrownsville, TXYear Built - 1954 Architects - Wiltshire & Fisher Architects Address - 600 International Boulevard, Brownsville, TXThe winning design, by the Dallas architects Wiltshire & Fisher (now F&S Partners) and their young designer Donald Jarvis, was...

First National Bank Building

First National Bank Building

ArchitectureBrownsville, TXYear Built - 1960 Architects - Alan Taniguchi and William H. LambethFrom the Newspaper Archives: “Brownsville Bank Plans Are Released,” AGC News Service, 10 June 1958, p. 7. Phelps & Dewees & Simmons (San Antonio) architects for 6-story, $1...

Templo de Nuestra Señora del Regfugio, Nueva Ciudad Guerrero

Templo de Nuestra Señora del Regfugio, Nueva Ciudad Guerrero

ArchitectureNueva Ciudad GuerreroYear Built - 1959 Architects - Calle EisenhowerFrom as late as 1959, when the parish church of Nuestra Señora del Refugio was built in the new town of Nueva Ciudad Guerrero, traces of the Purísima model are evident. In the border...

Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish School

Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish School

ArchitectureBrownsville, TXYear Built - 1964 Architects - Marvin BolandBowman Swanson Hiester were especially identified with the design of school buildings, such as Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish School in Brownsville of 1964, for which Marvin Boland was designer.

Puerta Mexico and U.S. Border Services Building

Puerta Mexico and U.S. Border Services Building

ArchitectureBrownsville, TXYear Built - 1961 Architects - Mario Pani (Mexico) | John York & Olin BoeseContrasting national policies about the role that architecture and urban design might play in constructing national identity were evident in comparing Matamoros’s...

Gymnasium of St. Joseph Academy

Gymnasium of St. Joseph Academy

ArchitectureBrownsville, TXYear Built - 1959 Architects - Caudill Rowlett Scott Address - 101 St. Joseph’s Drive, Brownsville, TXSt. Joseph Academy, Brownsville, 1960, Caudill Rowlett Scott It’s difficult to say with certainty that Cocke, Bowman & York created a...

San Felipe Catholic Mission

San Felipe Catholic Mission

ArchitectureHarlingen, TXYear Built - 1964 Architects - Charles B. Croft Address - 1706 Rangerville Road, Harlingen, TX

No Results Found

The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.

No Results Found

The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.

No Results Found

The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.